vtx logo

request clinical advice

vtx logo sticky

scott@vtx-cpd.com

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 2,481 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    How do you clean your Diamond Burr?

    Honestly a question I have never considered on a Sunday!!!

    Haha! Thanks for sharing!

    Scott

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hello everyone!

    I hope you are all well. My name is Scott, I am a specialist in small animal internal medicine. I know nothing about cardiology, but am very happy to help with any questions that might have a medicine slant.

    I hope you all enjoy the course.

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hey.

    Another great question!

    I will make sure Georgina sees this!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Sarah W. 11/11/2024 - 20:50

    Great!

    Really glad to hear you are enjoying it!

    We are always happy to hear if you have any other content ideas too!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Laura Jones 27/10/2024 - 09:23

    I also love adding a wee bit of chia seeds to manage calcium! There’s a great case report on this in Frontiers in Veterinary Science (2020) titled “Managing Feline Idiopathic Hypercalcemia With Chia Seeds (Salvia hispanica L.): A Case Series” by Fantinati and Priymenko (doi: 10.3389/fvets.2020.00421). They found that supplementing with chia seeds (2g/cat/day) helped normalize ionized calcium levels in three cats after dietary changes alone weren’t effective. It’s definitely an interesting non-pharmacological approach worth keeping in mind. 😊

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Laura Jones 27/10/2024 - 09:28

    This is really useful.

    Thank you for sharing! I will let you know how we get on with them!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Laura Jones 28/10/2024 - 07:52

    I think I would still have some nervousness sending some of them home!

    Lots of ways to do things though and good to understand options. I think the point about not going crazy with fluids in renal disease patients is a good one!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hi Laura,

    Thanks for sharing this! The AVHTM guidelines have been such a game changer, having clear algorithms has definitely taken some of the stress out of handling transfusion reactions. We keep a printed copy in our transfusion kit too, and it’s been incredibly helpful.

    In our practice, we follow a structured approach similar to the AVHTM recommendations. We make sure to monitor all patients closely during transfusions, with frequent checks for TPR and clinical signs, and we always have pre-prepared emergency drugs based on the type of reaction. The guidelines have really streamlined our decision-making.

    I must admit I find most mild reactions are overcome by slowing down!

    Curious if anyone has tweaked these protocols to fit their team or workflow?

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Felipe M. 31/10/2024 - 20:37

    Really helpful, thank you.

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hello Sarah!

    Great to hear from you and thanks for the great question. I would love to hear how you are finding the course so far?

    I will make sure Liz sees this questions. Looking forward to seeing the reply!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Another great lesson Laura!

    Thank you again.

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Louise L. 04/11/2024 - 14:20

    OMG!

    I have had to start doing SUB flushes just this year in my new job… I find them very stressful!

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hello Rosie!

    I hope you are well and enjoying the course!

    I will make sure we get this question answered.

    Have a great weekend.

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Replying to Laura S. 05/11/2024 - 19:17

    No problem.

    The word of omeprazole is ever changing, it is one of my favourite topics!

    I would hope we might have an updated consensus statement soon!

    Hope you are having a great week.

    Scott πŸ™‚

    scott@vtx-cpd.com
    Keymaster

    Hey Laura!

    This is a brilliant question! Balancing the urgency of treating immune-mediated diseases with the potential risks of combining NSAIDs and steroids is indeed challenging.

    Ideally, I aim for a 72-hour washout when feasible, although the urgency of some immune-mediated conditions (like IMHA, IMTP, or polyarthritis) often necessitates quicker action with steroids. In certain severe cases, using alternatives like tranexamic acid or vincristine as bridging measures can help delay steroid administration slightly. However, most often, we weigh the risks and proceed with steroid therapy, acknowledging the potential for complications.

    Regarding gastroprotection, the evidence supporting prophylactic omeprazole use in preventing GI bleeding in concurrent NSAID-steroid therapy remains limited. A study in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine found that adding omeprazole to prednisone didn’t significantly reduce GI bleeding risk compared to prednisone alone. The study can be accessed here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jvim.16672. In human medicine, corticosteroid-NSAID combinations are associated with increased GI risk, as shown in a systematic review in BMJ Open available here: https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/5/e004587. Although this data is from human studies, it may indicate similar risks in veterinary patients.

    Given the lack of robust veterinary-specific evidence, I reserve omeprazole for cases with GI symptoms rather than routine prophylactic use. Instead, I prioritize hydration, good nutrition, and sometimes probiotics to support the GI tract. For washout, a minimum of 24 hours is often my baseline, extending up to 72 hours when the patient’s condition allows.

    Sometimes you just have to hold your nose and give the steroids, I just make sure to carefully council the owners.

    Does that make sense?

    Scott πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 2,481 total)