Leadership for veterinary nurses (2022)
This solutions-focused course has been developed to support veterinary nurses who are currently in leadership positions or those who aspire to become leaders but have not started their journey into a leadership role yet. This course has been specifically designed to help nursing individuals lead, manage and motivate their teams effectively; to help them to communicate more successfully and feel confident when handling difficult situations. We all know how hard that first difficult conversation can be… This course will allow you to truly gain a holistic approach to what leadership means in veterinary practice and how to really get the most out of yourself and your team.
The course is underpinned by a real-time discussion forum where you can ask any questions as you work your way through the lessons. There are also live Q&A sessions where you can chat with our speakers and other course delegates about the content or those challenging situation that you might be facing right now that you might need a little support with.
This course will run over a 9 week period and is the equivalent of (10 hours CPD/CE) for your record. You will also receive access to this course material for 6 months.
Access to this course is for 12 months from the start of the course going live on our website. If you sign up to the course after the live sessions have run, you will still be able to access the recordings from the live sessions. The discussion forum will be monitored for the course duration only.
- To understand what leadership is and how it is defined
- To explore the skills essential for leadership
- To consider the pitfalls and challenges of leadership
- To explore the attributes of effective leaders
- Understand leadership styles
- Recognise personal values and strengths
- To understand how to communicate effectively
- To explore appropriate assertiveness
- To consider how transactional analysis can aid communication
- To consider how compassion and empathy can be used in leadership
- To understand the importance of establishing trust and building relationships within the role.
- To describe the concept of an emotional bank account
- To understand the concepts of self and task management
- To consider how task management can be employed by leaders
- To identify the practicalities of being an effective leader
- Understand how to engage and motivate teams for optimal performance
- Describe the components of consistently high performing organisations, teams, and individuals
- Consider the importance of organizational culture
- To understand the importance of promoting civility as a leader
- To consider how to manage conflict, difficult conversations and constructively deal with inappropriate behaviour
- To developing effective debriefing skills.
- To understand that wellbeing and self-care are the foundation of high performing teams
- To proactively consider and recognise stress in ourselves and others
- To develop a self-care toolkit including strategies to build resilience
- This is your chance to chat with the course speaker and ask any questions that you may have about any of the content that we have covered during the course.
Meet the speakers
RVN & Senior Trainer and Content Development Lead at VetLed