Endocrinology: Who’s in crisis? (2023)
This veterinary thought exchange online tutored course takes a more detailed look at the investigation and management of endocrine diseases in dogs and cats.
Endocrine diseases are common in small animal practice, but their investigation can be confusing and their management very challenging. How much do we really need to investigate that increased calcium? How unstable can my diabetic dog really be? What is the best test to diagnose Cushing’s disease and how best do I monitor? We aim to answer all these questions and much more.
The course is run by our very own Scott Kilpatrick (EBVS and RCVS Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine). The course runs over an eight-week period and takes around 10 hours to complete. The course is delivered via video webinars and supplemented with discussion forums and live chats with the course tutor, giving you the opportunity to ask questions or discuss cases you may be facing in your practice.
Access to this course is for 12 months from the start of the course going live on our website. If you sign up to the course after the live sessions have run, you will still be able to access the recordings from the live sessions. The discussion forum will be monitored for the course duration only.
- Understand the pathophysiology of hypothyroidism.
- Review the best practice in diagnosis… is it really that easy?
- Consider the best treatment options and what happens when they do not respond.
- Understand the pathophysiology of hyperthyroidism… is it just older cats?
- Review the options for diagnosis… not just T4.
- Learn about the most up to date treatment considerations.
- The differences between cats and dogs.
- Review the challenges of diagnosis and the possibility of concurrent disease.
- Understand the most up to date options for insulin choice and monitoring.
- Calcium… how high is too high?
- Review the most common conditions of the parathyroid gland.
- What are the options for treating disorders of calcium?
- Pathophysiology… from the pituitary to the adrenal gland.
- Review the various diagnostic options… and pick the best one.
- Understand the best treatment options… do I take the adrenal gland out?
- Pathophysiology… when the cortisol runs out.
- Diagnosis… do I really need to do an ACTH stimulation test at 3am?
- Treatment… crisis at the Whitehouse.
- Understand the significance of growth hormone disorders in small animal practice.
- What is the best way to diagnose these conditions?
- Learn about the intricacies of treatment options.
- Your chance to discuss any cases you are struggling with.
- We will bring along a few interesting cases too!
Meet the speakers
Director, Internal Medicine Specialist