A practical approach to small animal anaesthesia (2022)
This veterinary thought exchange online tutored course is an overall look at the different aspects of anaesthesia and analgesia. Sedation and anaesthesia are the unavoidable first step in most diagnostic and surgical procedures, and in this course we aim to shed more light on their practice. Are protocols the way forward? Is hypotension that important, and how do I treat it? Is there an easy way of making my patients comfortable? How should I choose my pre-anaesthetic medication?
Join us for an exciting journey towards maximising the safety of your patients.
The course is run by Felipe Grados (ECVAA Specialist in Anaesthesia). The course runs over a seven-week period and takes around 9 hours to complete. The course is delivered via video webinars and supplemented with discussion forums and live chats with the course tutor, giving you the opportunity to ask questions or discuss cases you may be facing in your practice.
Access to this course is for 12 months. If you sign up to the course after the live session has run, you will still be able to access the recordings from the live session. The discussion forum will be monitored by Felipe for the duration of the course.
- What are the goals of anaesthesia & how can I maximise the safety of my patients?
- What is the value of pre-operative blood analysis?
- Are standardised protocols the way forward?
- What are the phases and patients, where complications are more likely?
- Airway safety & other aspects of patient safety
- Essential equipment in the peri-operative period
- What does your equipment tell you & how to get the most out of what you have?
- Do I look at the numbers or the patterns or both?
- Pulse oximetry
- ECG patterns
- Quick and practical pharmacology review
- Sedative drug combinations
- Micro-sedation and its benefits
- Induction protocols and combinations
- Inhalant vs Total Intravenous Anaesthesia
- Importance of analgesia plans
- Pain scoring and benefits in practice
- Update on current analgesic drugs
- Practical approach to analgesia and escalation
- Why is my patient still sore? Common mistakes
- Common infusion calculations
- Blood pressure measurement techniques
- Practical approach to hypotension
- The use of fluid therapy for managing shock in surgical patients
- Goal directed fluid therapy
- Other drugs that can be used to alter blood pressure & infusion calculations
- A look at real life cases, problems and how they were managed
- Cardiac disease
- Respiratory disease
- Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus
- Chance to ask questions about the course content or questions from cases that you have from practice.
Meet the speakers