Lower urinary tract disease in dogs and cats: Taking the stress out of the spasm! (2022)
A detailed look at the causes, investigation and management of lower urinary tract disease (LUTD) in dogs and cats.
LUTD is a very common reason for patients to present in small animal practice; so this course will contain many practical tips and tricks to enable the diagnosis and management of the many disorders that can cause LUTD in cats and dogs. We will discuss many different aspects of LUTD, including the management of urinary tract infections and the challenge whether antibiotics are really indicated. The types of uroliths that effect dogs and cats are varied, so we will review the most up to date management strategies. The management of feline lower urinary tract disease remains challenging. Danielle will unlock what we really know about feline idiopathic cystitis aka Stress Cystitis and consider the evidence base and practicality of treating this frustrating condition.
The course is run by our very own Scott Kilpatrick (EBVS and RCVS Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine) and Professor Danièlle A Gunn-Moore (RCVS Specialist in Feline Medicine). The course runs over an eight-week period and will provide around 10 hours of CPD/CE. It is delivered via video webinars and supplemented with discussion forums and live Q&A chats with the course tutors, giving you the opportunity to ask questions or discuss cases you may be facing in your practice.
*(Access to this course is for 12 months. If you sign up to the course after the live sessions have run, you will still be able to access the recordings from those sessions).
- Learn about the most effective ways to investigate infections of the urinary tract. How do you differentiate between asymptomatic bacteriuria and a UTI?
- Understand how to make the best decisions regarding antibiotic choice.
- Review the best way to investigate and manage recurrent infections.
- Be confident in understanding the different uroliths that affect dogs and cats.
- Consolidate your knowledge of options for investigation of urolithiasis.
- Understand the best options for medical and surgical management.
- Review the pathophysiology of micturition.
- Consolidate your knowledge of the investigation and management of bladder storage diseases.
- Review the reasons for abnormal bladder emptying and how to treat these conditions.
- Review the evidence base for drug therapies in FIC
- Consolidate your decision making on the most appropriate dietary recommendations.
- What longer term behavioural and environmental recommendations should be made.
- Feel confident in diagnosing infectious, inflammatory and neoplastic conditions of the prostate.
- Learn more about the neoplastic processes that effect the prostate and urethra.
- Understand the best treatment strategies for prostatic disease
- The role of nutrition in the management or urinary tract disease.
- Your chance to discuss any cases you are struggling with.
- We will bring along a few interesting cases too!
Meet the speakers
Feline Medicine Specialist
Director, Internal Medicine Specialist