Anaemia in dogs and cats: Where did all the red cells go? (2022)
This veterinary thought exchange online tutored course takes a more detailed look at the investigation and management of anaemia in dogs and cats.
Anaemia is the most common hematologic abnormality encountered in veterinary clinical practice and can be the cause of disease (e.g., immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia [IMHA]) or a marker of underlying disease (e.g., cancer, chronic kidney disease). We will discuss how to get the most information out of your blood smear and haematology as well as reviewing the most up to date way of treating anaemia, including IMHA. There is also a video webinar looking at the practical elements of bone marrow biopsy and transfusion medicine.
The course is run by our very own Scott Kilpatrick (EBVS and RCVS Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Internal Medicine). The course runs over a nine-week period and takes around 11 hours to complete. The course is delivered via video webinars and supplemented with discussion forums and live chats with the course tutor, giving you the opportunity to ask questions or discuss cases you may be facing in your practice.
Access to this course is for 12 months from the start of the course going live on our website. If you sign up to the course after the live sessions have run, you will still be able to access the recordings from the live sessions. The discussion forum will be monitored for the course duration only.
- Learn about the most accessible in-house test… the blood smear!
- Understand how to get the best out of your haematology… do we really care about MCV?
- Review the other diagnostics that might complement what the blood is telling you.
- Be confident in understanding the differential diagnosis for regenerative anaemia.
- Consolidate your knowledge of bleeding disorders and when blood loss is the issue.
- Understand some of the more unusual causes of haemolysis.
- Learn about the most effective ways to diagnose IMHA.
- Consolidate your knowledge on the pathophysiology of this disease.
- Review the most recent treatment options… when the steroids don’t work
- Be confident in understanding the differential diagnosis for non-regenerative anaemia.
- What is iron… and is it deficient?
- Review the best treatment options for non-regenerative anaemia.
- Learn about the components of transfusion therapy.
- Consolidate your decision making on whether to transfuse or not.
- Cat and dogs… are they that different?
- Review the differences in blood donation between cats and dogs.
- Learn the most practical ways of donation and transfusion.
- Feel confident in bone marrow biopsy techniques through this practical webinar.
- Consolidate your learning with cases that you will likely see in practice.
- Your chance to discuss any cases you are struggling with.
- We will bring along a few interesting cases too!
Meet the speakers
Director, Internal Medicine Specialist